CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Walk with a Smile

B'h I"m busy, with good things. It happens often, therefore, that I'm constantly thinking about this or that. Weather it's and essay that I'm working on, a phone call I need to make, or the list of homework that i want to accomplish before i head to work, I'm always deep in thought and concentrating on the inner more then the outer. Therefore, it happens that when I'm transporting from one location to the next, I wont pay proper attention to the people around me or what kind of expression I'm carying on my face.
I know that I've completely missed people's presence, consequently, or just ignored them without saying hello. B'h, this was brought to my attention on Sunday. I've, since then, tried to walk in the street with a smile, or at least smile to those that i see.
I know that there is an inyan of this in the gerama or Torah. I just wanted to remind everyone, as well as myself, that when we're walking down the street we should always great the people we know, weather it's to stop and have a conversation with them or to tell them that you're in a rush and just wanted to say, though you're sorry you don't have time to talk.
I think it's very important. A lot of people can be hurt by abrupt hellos or non at all.
I've been privileged to realize/ be reminded of this. Kol Tov

3 comments:

SEP said...

I agree with you Sarahle, this is a very important inyan. But we also need to realize that while the gemara says we should greet everyone with a sefer panim yafot, ie. a smile and a hello, there are halachos governing these things. For example, you are not allowed to greet a man, whether you know him or not. I suppose one should ask a sheila if they may greet men in a city where it is considered rude or offensive not to do so. But even then it's a heter, a bidieved situation. But in regard to women, it is a mitzvah to smile and be the first to say hello. Yes, a mitzvah! Perhaps if everyone were to focus on this one small mitzvah, the renewed achdus of Am Yisrael would bring (or at least help speed the coming of) Moshiach.

What do you think?

Sarah Rutti said...

I agree. It's interesting becuase i asked RA about greeting guys that i recognize through school or work on the street. and she said that it's to be polite, it's REALLY rude if you recognize someone and don't acknowledge their presence. so it matters on the situation. yes, you shouldn't stam say HI to every guy you walk past in the street, but if it's someone who you see regularly i suggest that you say hi, or risk being thought of as a snob. At least, that's how it is in Vancouver

Jelaina said...

Poke *hello*! :)