CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 13, 2007

Sefirat Homer

Hello. I hope that everyone is doing well and who ever is taking exams or midterms does well and remembers all the necessary information during the examination. I'd like to talk about sefirat haomer.
It was just last week when we finished pessach and continued counting the sefira. To me, it seems as though there was higher spiritual potential during pessach then there is now. Unlike most, i felt down after pessach as a result of this shift. I know I'm wrong in this prospective and I'll explain myself below.
We are told that during pessach haShem gives us the ability to leap madregot/spiritual levels/ regardless of our previous position on the ladder. Just as He "skipped" over us in mitzraim and only killed the first born mitzrim, so too does He NOW gives us the ability to jump, once again, while He holds our hand.
But there's a catch in the system. Because it's compulsory that we have stable footing that is strong enough to maintain our position on the ladder, we must go back during sefira and fill the gap we just jumped over. We need to make sure that everything up to level x was accomplished and we are now strong enough to remain on level x and keep moving upward.
For example: One didn't have the will power to start keeping shabbat and during pessach he resolved to start and it is because haShem is holding him up that he is able to maintain that level of observance, even though he's not spiritually ready. Once pessach ends haShem SLOWLY puts the person down and he or she is supposed to work on attaining the level that was jumped to during pessach.
I hope I'm making myself clear. There's another positive result of this ''jumping session. If i see that i have done something once, then i believe that i can accomplish it again. So, if I've already kept shabbat a few times during pessach (this is just an example) then I'll have confidence that i can keep it again in the future. HaShem is giving us this confidence to reach new levels by showing us that WE HAVE and CAN continue to maintain that level of kadusha.
It is our responsibility to work on ourselves and take this opportunity that haShem is giving us leap and bound forward. HaShem has carefully mapped out this time period of sefira, showing us what can be worked on when and how much can be accomplish but putting one foot in front of the other. Baby steps is all it takes.
OK, be well and i hope you enjoyed and that i was clear enough in my explanation. If there are any questions or comments PLEASE post and i will respond or try to clarify my words. Good luck.

5 comments:

smileitsfree said...

Hey, wasn't this in our shiurim Sarah Rut...Kol Hakovod!

Sarah Rutti said...

we learned it last year. I don'tknow if you mentioned, i can't remember :( but i'm sorry if i didn't properly credit it.

smileitsfree said...

It's ok...I forgive you!!!

Sarah Rutti said...

than you :)

SEP said...

What a beautiful idea Sarah Rutti! Just as a different perspective, do you remember the mashal of Hashem and Bnei Yisrael getting married? I can't remember the steps or where it starts. Was Pesach Shevah Brachot? Or the engagement? And now we're counting down to the wedding, and Shavuot is the chuppah where we accept the Torah and build a Torah home with Hashem? That is also a beautiful idea.

I wish everyone a bracha that we grow and are worthy to accept the Torah and bring moshiach this year.